Friday, January 9, 2009

Orting Flood Evacuation

On Tuesday night it rained all night long. It was raining so hard it was almost keeping me awake from the noise. The snow level was at over 6000ft so it was even raining in the mountains. With all the snow we have had lately this caused a bit of a problem. All over Washington rivers were flooding towns and people were being evacuated. In Orting we live in between two rivers, the Puyallup River on one side of the valley and the Carbon River on the other. Both rivers were on flood watch and were expected to reach record levels. Early in the morning they started evacuating the south side of Orting, then as the morning went on they started evacuating closer to us. We left before we got an evacuation call, but not long after we left we heard that all of Orting was being evacuated. Cameron and I went to stay with my parents becuase Bret is working a night job where he works until 2am. It was a frustrating drive up there because hwy-410 was closed because part of it was submerged under water, so we tried other routes and roads were closed so it took us a bit to figure out a way to get there. After Bret got off work he decided to try to come home and the flooding wasnt near as bad as expected. The rivers crested and are on the rebound right now. Thank goodness it wasnt as bad as predicted! Cameron and I came home yesterday. There were some places where there was water over the road but it wasnt bad. I am very thankful that everything was ok. Bret said next time we buy a house it wont be in a valley!

3 comments:

Kaye and Mike said...

I'm glad you came to stay with us! If you buy on a hill it may slide down the hill! he, he!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say the same thing as your Mom. There is no perfect place to buy. I am glad it all turned out okay.

Thomas Family said...

Silly me I shoulda just read your blog, but thanks for responding to my text and I'm so glad all is okay too. So much responsitility when it comes to owning a home...not too fun in this economy either. We just can't win can we. You guys definitely didnt deserve the stress of flooding on top of it all too. So yeah for it being over! Hope it doesnt happen again :) Take Care