Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Battle Has Begun

Battlefield Mom
All I have to say today is "Ahh!!!" I feel like Im going to rip my hair out. Cameron is a little wild thing. I have been chasing him around all morning trying to keep him out of mischief and things he shouldnt be into. I am not swaddling him anymore for naps and now that he can sit up on his own and pull up to standing all he wants to do in the crib are those two things. So I spend a half hour or more trying to get him to go to sleep and stop playing. The frustrating things is that he is super tired, so you would think he would just zonk out, but no, he fights and fights to the end. Today he kept getting mad and hitting his head on his crib and then he screams and I feel bad but I have to let him cry himself to sleep. I feel like a bad mom! The last few days have felt like a constant battle to get anything done while he is awake, and then trying to get him to sleep.

Diaper Change: Mission Impossible
On another subject that ties in with my frustration is the diaper change... I dread changing diapers now, especially messy ones. He refuses to lay down so he wiggles and fights to get up and roll over and everything in between. So I end up holding him half in the air by one ankle and trying to wipe his mess off while he is screaming in the background. I know most people would question my strength, thinking how could he be stronger than me to wiggle away. Let me tell you, I have never met a stronger baby than him, he is amazingly strong for his size. So diaper changes, or clothing changes, are low on my fun-o-meter and very very high on my frustration- meter!

What was I thinking when I said I wanted him to crawl and roll and pull up!?

3 comments:

Thomas Family said...

OH Liz...I hear ya, I HEAR ya!
You know I'm a sensitive mother and would never say this to my kids, but my mother once told me a funny joke that we spend the first 2 years of our children's life teaching them to walk and talk and then the rest of their life to shut up and sit down..
(lol, I know it doesn't completely apply, and that feeling might not totally be there yet, but I hope it makes you laugh)

melissa said...

Hey welcome to the momahood club. I am sorry to say it only gets harder, but the rewards are great. Everytime they do something wonderful like the first time they bear their testimony it makes moments like this totally worth it.

April said...

Oh, your post make me laugh, Liz! It's so true that we wish for them to get to the next stage of life only to kick ourselves and wish they were younger again! Have you tried the leg-over-the-chest move? I would put my leg over my girls' chest when changing their diaper so they couldn't roll themselves over. It may sound crazy, but you learn to do what it takes to get the job done! :-) Cameron is so adorable!