Saturday, December 6, 2008

Doctors Office Runs and One ER Visit

(My sick little man sleeping in his swing, which he never does so you know he is feeling rotten!)

My poor little Cameron got very sick right after Thanksgiving. He started running a fever, throwing up and having really explosive diarrhea. He wouldnt take a bottle and if he did he would throw it up, we tried pedialyte but he wouldnt take it. He stopped eating solid foods. He started having a runny nose and droopy eyes and grabbing at his ear. We gave him Tylenol for his fever and it helped a little but all he wanted to do all day was cry, poop, sleep and throw up. We took him to the walk in clinic on Sunday morning and they diagnosed him with a flu and ear infection. We tried giving him the medication they gave him for his ear infection but he would throw it up everytime. The diarrhea and throwing up continued so I took him to his regular doctor on Thursday and he told me his ears looked ok so I could stop giving him the amoxicillin and to watch his fluid intake and keep him hydrated which I was trying really hard to do but its hard when he refused and fights you to take anything down at all. And he told me to try soy formula to see if it would be better on his tummy. He had also lost almost 2lbs so he is back down to 20lbs now.

So we got soy formula and gave him a bottle and he went to bed. Then at 1am I woke up to him gagging and coughing so I ran in his room and he was throwing up all over the place and so I pulled him out of his crib and it continued. We got him changed and he started dry heaving and then a slimy mucous started coming out when he would try to through up. He was having a hard time breathing because he was dry heaving so much and having to gasp for air. Bret gave him a blessing and we said a prayer but in the end we decided we needed to take him to the ER. They gave him and IV which was so sad to watch, he has really deep veins since he is so chubby and he was dehydrated so they were small anyway. They tried to get one in his foot and failed so they found another vein in his arm and that one worked after a long time trying. I felt so horrible for him. They gave him anti nausea medication and filled him up on fluids. Not to mention the horrible raspy congested cough he woke up with Thursday morning... and for that the doctor was worried so she ordered a chest x-ray which was so hard to get him still for. My poor little guy was so exhausted he fell right asleep the second everyone stopped messing with him. In the end he was diagnosed with a virus and some kind of infection in his lungs and the flu. I have to watch his cough and breathing to be sure it doesnt turn into croup or pneumonia.

After getting the fluids he seems to be doing better. Yesterday half the day he only was allowed to have pedialyte and apple juice. He has had a few bottles and seems to be doing better. He even at some baby food last night at dinner. It is so scary when you baby gets sick. I felt so bad having to do all those things to him in the ER and I wish I could explain to him that it was only for his own good. He has a bruise on his foot and his arm from the IVs and Im sure its sore too. I hope he continues to get better.

5 comments:

Richard and Diane said...

I know how you feel, it's awful watching them try to get an iv into a baby. The same thing happened with Brooklyn right before she turned 1, she ended up with flu type A (apparently B is what most people get) and pneumonia at the same time. We were in the hospital for 3 days before they would let her leave. And now whenever we go to the doctor she screams her head off. I hope Cameron is doing better and doesn't have to go back.

Thomas Family said...

Oh my word Liz!
That just breaks my heart to read. You are seriously such a good attentive mother. I'm sure you can't wait til he's completely better, I really do hope thats soon.

Thomas Family said...

oh and btw...Ry threw up that mucousy stuff too when we took him to the ER its called bial (not sure how to spell it). Thats so hard to see your baby go through, i know.

Kaye and Mike said...

I'm so sorry that my poor little grandson has been so sick. I hope he continues to have a speedy recovery. I know you've taken such good care of him! You're a good mother!

Lance and Megan Jacobsen said...

oh Liz Im sorry. I had no idea cameron was so sick. I hope he keeps getting better. If you need anything let me know (like dinner, if you're too exhausted to cook.)anyting at all just let me know.