Sunday, August 31, 2008

Just Peachy

Last night my friend, her husband and I did some canning. We are both learning so it was a fun experience. This was the first time I have ever canned anything! A member of our ward has some connections in eastern Washington so he got us 25lbs of peaches for a good deal. We got a good system down and we went through 75lbs of peaches in 3 hours, which may sound like a long time to more experienced canners, but I am proud of us. We had a fun time! I am planning on continuing to can fruits. I also ordered a dehydrator so that will be fun to use as well. I am really trying to work on learning how to build our food storage, especially with so much focus on it from the church right now. I am feeling somewhat unprepared so I am trying to make an effort to increase my education and my food supply. We have some wonderful sisters in our ward that know so much about it and I am so blessed to be able to learn from them and take in all their knowledge for myself and my family. I am also so glad I have a great friend right across the street to do things like this with and to keep me motivated!

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

way to go! they are beautiful!

Courtney said...

I would say the peaches turned out pretty good for a couple of canning beginners. Next project: applesauce!