Monday, February 9, 2009

9 Month Doctor Visit and Bret

Today was Camerons 9 month check up. He is growing really well, I weighed him myself about a week and half or two weeks ago and he was just over 23lbs and today at the doctor he was 1 ounce under 22lbs, so he was 21lbs 15oz. He has lost a little weight having not been able to eat for the last 4 or so days... poor little man. But the doctor wasnt concerned about it, he will gain it right back once he is able to eat and drink more than pedialyte. He was 28.5in long. His percentiles were the 75th for weight, just above 50th for height and just under the 50th for head circumfrunce. So he has grown well, the doctor said he is perfect on the growth charts. We talked to him about his flu and he said there isnt really anything they can do to help a baby with vomitting and diarhea unless he gets really dehydrated again and then we have to get him another IV of fluids. So sadly he will have to continue to be sick until it clears out of him. We have to take him back on Monday if he is still having flu like symptoms. Hopefully he will be just fine in a few days. We had a better day today, no blow outs, hurray! And only a few "dirty" diapers to deal with. He woke up this morning at about 4:30am throwing up again, but he hasnt again all day. Over all he got a good bill of health and I know Im doing at least something right.

As for Bret... He had to come with me to the doctor today because he is very sick. I was pretty sick on Friday and so was Cameron but Bret was fine. Then Saturday I was feeling better and around 4pm Bret started feeling really sick. He ended up being very very sick really fast. After about 3 1/2 hours of "taking care of business" on both ends he had to be taken to the hospital because he was extremely dehydrated and couldnt keep a single thing down, not even medicine. I went upstairs to check on him and he was sweaty and white even his lips were pale and he said he was feeling like he was going to faint and he couldnt stand up or he would fall over. There was no way that Cameron was going to last in an ER for hours on end especially past his bedtime, so my parents picked him up and kept him overnight for us. (This was my first night away from my baby and it was really really hard. I cried on the drive up to their house to pick him up and cried when I saw him, I missed him so much! But, I enjoyed the sleep!) He had to have an IV with two bags of fluids while we were there and they gave him anti-nausea medicine to help him stop throwing up. He was very dehydrated, the nurse that gave him his IV was shocked at how bad he was after only 4 hours, his veins were hard to get an IV into. We were at the ER until about 1am. He was sick still on Sunday but he is doing better today. While we were at the doctor today for Cameron he had to have a check up too to make sure he was doing ok and that the meds they gave him prescriptions for were working. While we were at the ER they did a flu swab but we didnt get the results back then. We got them today and it came back negative for Influenza so they think he has the Norwalk Virus or Norovirus (same thing, different name). It is highly contagious and makes you very sick. He is doing much better today and I am so glad. It was an interesting weekend to say the least.

1 comment:

Thomas Family said...

Oh my gosh OH my gosh...I cannot even tell you Liz how much Bret's story is practically identical to Jays back when we lived in FD...and Cor was also 9 months...seriously I can honestly say I know EXACTLY what you were going through...and bless your hearts I hope all sickness leaves your household for good!
and BTW..I am just terrible with my phone, but I really wanna have you over soon for a playdate. I keep forgetting to call you , but I mean it I will soon :)