Monday, September 15, 2008

CANtastic Weekend

This weekend was the weekend to can all the pears we had bought as well as canning some homemade applesauce. My mom came down to help watch Cameron so that Bret and I could whip them out quickly but it turned out that he took an absolutely wonderful nap that afternoon so it turned out that the three of us go to can! It was a lot of fun and I really feel like Im getting the hang of it. We did the pears with my mom on Saturday afternoon and it didnt take us long at all.
Then on Sunday afternoon Bret and I tackled the applesauce and it was even more fun and went even faster than the pears. Brets mom let us borrow this little do-dad that mashes the apples up and spits the sauce out one spout and the skins out of another. Even though Bret wont admit he had fun, I think he really enjoyed that part of it. Making homemade applesauce is really easy and it tastes delicious! We put some cinnamon and sugar in ours, yum!
I think the apples look so pretty in the pot... such pretty and vibrant colors. Also I ordered a box of what I thought would be normal sized plums but they turned out to be prune plums, not that I have anything against prunes but it just wasnt what I was expecting. So I did one can of the prunes because Im not 100% sure how much Im going to love canned prunes, they are good dried, but canned Im not so positive about. The prunes look beautiful in the jar, they turn the syrup this great magenta color. So this is what we ended up with, another addition to our food supply.
Also this week we are going to do some dry pack canning at a members house. I would have never thought it, but she shared with us that we can dry pack things like brownie mix, pasta-roni, rice-a-roni, jiffy mix, etc. So my friend Courtney and I took a trip to the store and stocked up on these types of things to can. We got our cans from the LDS Cannery and I have them all ready to be sealed. I am so glad that our food supply is coming along!

2 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Wow Liz, you are CANtastic! I am soo sorry for being a Bum on Sat. I was at the fair with my sister in-law Friday evening and I just couldnt make it an early morning the next day. Jay was gone on a scout trip and it would have been a bit crazy. Plus its so great that you had no distractions as you said to get all that done. You are such a good example. Maybe you can give me some advice on how to make space for all that food storage. That's my biggest dilemma.
Take Care, TTYL

Kaye and Mike said...

I had a wonderful time canning with you both. I'm glad you're working so hard on your food supply.